The Nitty Gritty

But more than all of those I am an entertainer. I carry around a ukulele with me for the same reason a gangster carries a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stage or sidewalk, Your Pal Pete shows are just where they happen.
Currently, I'm working on a musical, RagnaPOP(or she's got the bomb), set to premiere at this year's Capital Fringe Festival. I'm also working on music, comedy, and musical comedy; for kids and/or adults.
The fruit of these projects will be available on this site, so check back regularly!

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

I Tried Out For Last Comic Standing Today

Regardless of the egalitarian aspect shows like American Idol or Last Comic Standing approach, not everyone is truly created equal.

I went to the auditions today with the impression that everyone was going to be put under the same decision process as everyone else, but was not surprised when it wasn't.

I only have the right to say so much. Some of the people there had waited since Sunday to try out, but I got to audition a lot sooner than those people because I had answered a Craig's List ad for "Wacky People". This is a recreation of my audition Polaroid:


The people that got to wait the shortest were actual comedians, who looked at this as more of a networking opportunity than one of national exposure. I got a little intimated talking to comedians who had been working for years, I felt the impulse to stop saying, "I've only done stand up one other time 4 and a half years ago to saying, "I've been doing comedy for 4 and a half years."

The cool thing: Talking to so many cool people. I met all kinds of folks. I talked up Surviving Retail, of course and one guy said he had heard of it. I don't know if he actually had, but he definitely thought he did.

The Bad Thing: I've done a few of these cattle calls before and hopes can be dashed in an instant, but mine got dashed after about 45 seconds. I'm really proud of the song that they wouldn't let me finish, so I've posted it here: NSFW

No comments: