The Nitty Gritty

But more than all of those I am an entertainer. I carry around a ukulele with me for the same reason a gangster carries a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stage or sidewalk, Your Pal Pete shows are just where they happen.
Currently, I'm working on a musical, RagnaPOP(or she's got the bomb), set to premiere at this year's Capital Fringe Festival. I'm also working on music, comedy, and musical comedy; for kids and/or adults.
The fruit of these projects will be available on this site, so check back regularly!

Wednesday, March 28, 2007

My Depression Soundtrack

As I've been wading through my most recent existential funk, I got to thinking about the songs that make me think of funks past and present.

Depressed Teenage Pete-The Smiths
The Smiths, baby, all the way. You'd think maybe the Cure, but they dealt with a more died-in-the-wool (intentional misspelling) sorrow; one that you were more than welcome to carry into adulthood. My depression stemmed basically from being the only one in high school that wasn't getting laid. Once I got what I wanted a couple times I couldn't sing "Please let me get what I want, lord knows it'll be the first time.", could I?
The Pete Anthem "How Soon is Now?"


Depressed Twenty-something Pete
Sebadoh, oh yeah! I listened to them for a while just 'cause, then I went through a break-up so bad, I moved to DC(not that I'm complaining). Lou Barlow's songs went from casual listening to striking me straight into my emotional center so hard, it took a while before I could listen to them without breaking down.
This was the best Sebadoh vid I could get, since I couldn't get the real anthem, "Homemade" from Bubble and Scrape. This still an amazing song,"Spoiled"

Depressed Thirty-something Pete
I've been listening to a lot more violent noisy music this time around. It some how comforting, almost like a frustration relief valve. I've been prone to singing along to my ipod since I got it, but when one of these three bands come on I can't help but but clench teeth and fist and nod along the the brutal rhythms of:
Shellac, This one is "My Black Ass"

Death From Above 1979, This is "Blood On Our Hands"

Mclusky, This is "Lightsabre Cocksucking Blues"

"Everywhere I look it's a darkness."-Mclusky "Without MSG I'm Nothing"

1 comment:

Wicketywack said...

Those vids were awesome. Man, I was listening to Shellac yesterday and thinking, "Wow, those riffs are really causing that guitar PAIN."

Anyway, watch these two floozies, and hopefully you'll feel better: