The Nitty Gritty

But more than all of those I am an entertainer. I carry around a ukulele with me for the same reason a gangster carries a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stage or sidewalk, Your Pal Pete shows are just where they happen.
Currently, I'm working on a musical, RagnaPOP(or she's got the bomb), set to premiere at this year's Capital Fringe Festival. I'm also working on music, comedy, and musical comedy; for kids and/or adults.
The fruit of these projects will be available on this site, so check back regularly!

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

If there's a war on Christianity...

..Then the Religious Right fired the first shot. They have every branch of of government under their influence and all you hear about is how persecuted they are. They should enjoy their time in the sun, if history has taught us anything, this kind of thing never lasts very long.

I didn't want to use this blog, as so many others have, to get political. I mean obviously, a political blog in DC, how unprecedented!

The war on Christianity is like the Gay Agenda, a ridiculous notion turned into a category 5 shitstorm by people who don't seem to any connection to the world I live in.

Which is fine, say what you will, regardless of it's ridiculousness. Lord knows I exercise that right often enough. It's when it influences public policy as much as it has recently that I have to put my foot down.

The separation of Church and State was created for the protection of both against the other. The founding fathers, a mixture of devoutly religious and more secular men (called Deists), created the establishment clause in the First Amendment to prevent various pushy religions for making parts of the United States a theocracy.

I could talk for hours about my opinion (remember those? That was before people, right and left, started treating them like they were facts.) that a lot of people who consider themselves Christians, act like anything but. But I won't. I'll just let what I believe is the definitive quote on the subject:"Give to Cæsar what is Cæsar's, and to God what is God's." Jesus Christ-Matthew 22:21
Can't get clearer than that. No? O.K., John 18:36: 'My kingdom is not of this world. If my kingdom were of this world, my servants would have been fighting, that I might not be delivered over to the Jews. But my kingdom is not from the world."

I say the Religious Right and not Christians in general, because I have known many Christians who embrace the other elements of the true nature of Christianity, charity and humility. I don't see a lot of either in the current "faith-based" administration. You can't break something and hope God fixes it.

No comments: