The Nitty Gritty

But more than all of those I am an entertainer. I carry around a ukulele with me for the same reason a gangster carries a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stage or sidewalk, Your Pal Pete shows are just where they happen.
Currently, I'm working on a musical, RagnaPOP(or she's got the bomb), set to premiere at this year's Capital Fringe Festival. I'm also working on music, comedy, and musical comedy; for kids and/or adults.
The fruit of these projects will be available on this site, so check back regularly!

Tuesday, July 17, 2007

This Is My Pop: three years after


Three years ago today, I released my CD This Is My Pop. As a life-long music lover a long time songwriter and performer, it was a bit like a thesis illustrating what I've learned from music thus far. It gave me that connection to the music that had saved and ruined my life, I had a tangible contribution to pop culture. Regardless of the fact that I've sold maybe 30 of them and 600 of them are still in my friend Shawn's attic it was absolutely worth all the effort. It makes me sad when my musician friends can't listen to CDs they've recorded because the project got away from them in a way that sours the end result. For all the lofty acclaim that I was positive This Is My Pop would receive, rocketing me to rock stardom, or at least the chance to be financially self-sufficient playing music, the main goal that I had was to create something that I liked first. And I still love it and am very proud of the achievement.

One of the most satisfying aspects of the experience is the fact that fate has made it possible for me to give a copy to some of the people who have been a direct musical inspiration to me:Bob Mould, Ted Leo, Fountains of Wayne, Lou Barlow, Electric Six, Jon Spencer and Christina Martinez among others. I've also given copies to people who I just liked; when people have asked me,"How do you feel about people downloading for free," I can honestly say, "If they download it, there's one less I have to give away."

In tribute to the album that no one gives a shit about(except me and my mom of course), the rest of this week will be devoted to it, with regular posts here and there. I'm making it downloadable on myspace, 5 songs at a time, changing every two days. I will also be talking about the making of the album and the meanings of the songs.

The album is available on itunes and other outlets for pay, but I am willing to give it away. If you have a suggestion of how to post it to make it easy of people to get or if you want me to send you mp3s through e-mail let me know at yourpalpete@gmail.com.
The songs on myspace

No comments: