The Nitty Gritty

But more than all of those I am an entertainer. I carry around a ukulele with me for the same reason a gangster carries a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stage or sidewalk, Your Pal Pete shows are just where they happen.
Currently, I'm working on a musical, RagnaPOP(or she's got the bomb), set to premiere at this year's Capital Fringe Festival. I'm also working on music, comedy, and musical comedy; for kids and/or adults.
The fruit of these projects will be available on this site, so check back regularly!

Thursday, April 19, 2007

Unavoiding the Unavoidable.

There are a couple of blog worthy current events that have occured recently, but I don't think I could add anything to what has already been said but when I started I couldn't stop.
The Virginia Tech Tragedy-It's always unfortunate when a gun is used as a substitute for power, this was beyond what I have ever imagined. This young man felt a much more extreme case of something we all carry with us: the sense that the world owes us something. We all go to ridiculous lengths to avoid looking at ourselves, hopefully he went as far as anyone will go. But I wish I didn't want to see the pictures or the tape of him ranting. Showing it on TV(and wanting to see it) gets what this twisted freak thinks put across to a much wide audience than if he just blogged like everyone else.

Don Imus-This is one of the prime examples of how we can turn an inconsequential tempest in a teapot into a public relations H-bomb. What he said was real dumb, but getting fired for it? If this turns into a way for us to honestly how we approach objectification of women, fine. Otherwise it just seems so pointless.
The thing that people forget is the importance of picking battles and the unintended result. Don Imus may be unemployed, but he's recent been on the cover of both Time and Newsweek, which would have never happened if he didn't say what he did.

That's the thing that links these stories: Don Imus said something asinine and Cho Seung-Hui did something unspeakably pointless and tragic but because they did, a LOT more people are talking about them than if they didn't. I don't know what to do about that.

No comments: