The Nitty Gritty

But more than all of those I am an entertainer. I carry around a ukulele with me for the same reason a gangster carries a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stage or sidewalk, Your Pal Pete shows are just where they happen.
Currently, I'm working on a musical, RagnaPOP(or she's got the bomb), set to premiere at this year's Capital Fringe Festival. I'm also working on music, comedy, and musical comedy; for kids and/or adults.
The fruit of these projects will be available on this site, so check back regularly!

Monday, January 08, 2007

The Whore Of Popular Culture

This weekend I had the pleasure of hanging out with Jeff Krulik and John Heyn, creators of the certified cult classic documentary Heavy Metal Parking Lot . It's a short, simple film of Judas Priest fans(and to a lesser extent Dokken fans) as they do their pre-game substance abusing before a Priest show in 1986 at the Cap Center. It's since gained a cult following through word of mouth and the dubbing of video cassettes of friends.
I saw it for the first time on Saturday at the Black Cat and it is pretty great. The twenty years that have passed have given it a few extra layers of unintentional comedy. The mullets, sleeveless t-shirts and Trans-ams are as they were, not the ironic approximations from TV or movies that try to capture the era that always rings so hollow for us people who actually lived through it (like me). And when the girl says if she met Priest singer Rob Halford she'd "jump his bones" it was hard to imagine back then that this man.......
could be gay. The fact that is was filmed in a place that was familiar to most everyone in the crowd induced cheers when a group of people in the movie proudly proclaimed "Glen Burnie!"
Jeff had done a ton of other movies since them (most of which can be viewed at Planet Krulik) but none have approached the pop culture success of HMPL. He told me that he's always been grateful that people feel so strongly about it, but it was odd that he is best remembered for what was basically a goof project two decades ago. I told him my basic observation about the increasingly fickle nature of pop culture: It's a whore running at the speed of light; if you try to catch her, you'll fail and look silly doing it. The most you can hope for is to do the best work you can and hope it runs you over.

2 comments:

Dilkman said...

To date my self a little bit here. I was actually at that show. Priest and Dokken. I believe it was the Tubo tour. The album sucked but hey man..it was Priest. I think Dokken's album was under Lock and Key, but not sure. I was never a big doken fan.

The 2 things I remember most about that show (beside getting high as balls) were 1) the two guys behind me playing Air guitar non-stop (literally) for the entire show except for taking the time to smoke a bowl between songs...and sharing. Thanks guys.

2. Rob halford actually rode out on the stage in a motorcycle except it wasnt a harley. it was a Kowasaki Crotch rocket. THe whole place booed - at least those who were in the Know. Then Halfford proceeded to beat the shit out of it with his mic stand. It was a very entertaining show.

Ahhh the Cap Center. I miss that place despite the fact thhat it was an area. Oh well

Alex said...

I wonder if the people who designed and built the Cap Centre (note the European spelling, a failed effort to inject a bit of pretentiousness into its image) ever imagined that it would turn into a virtual temple for generations of Maryland stoners.