The Nitty Gritty

But more than all of those I am an entertainer. I carry around a ukulele with me for the same reason a gangster carries a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stage or sidewalk, Your Pal Pete shows are just where they happen.
Currently, I'm working on a musical, RagnaPOP(or she's got the bomb), set to premiere at this year's Capital Fringe Festival. I'm also working on music, comedy, and musical comedy; for kids and/or adults.
The fruit of these projects will be available on this site, so check back regularly!

Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Obama for President!

A lot of the people have surmised that my move to Iowa is to begin a campaign for President of the United States in 2008. Unfortunately, the exploratory committee that I formed to look into the possibility found that my lack of public service coupled with my almost complete obscurity made such an attempt unfeasible. I thought they were being generous with the adding of the "almost", but I have to get something for the 30 bucks I paid them.

I hear-by endorse Illinois senator Barack Obama for President. Although I generally lean left on many issues, I don't trust politicians on either side of the fence. The political machine is suppose to be operated by intelligent adults with dynamic opinions that are shaped by experience to further America as the great country that it is. Instead they are as dogmatic at children on the playground who won't share a swing set. Children are excused for thinking in black and white, good and evil, and with me/against me because they don't know any better; Adults have no excuse.
Political campaigns are run like chess games, with candidates nominated for being "electable" rather than "good" and large sections of the country ignored because they don't have enough votes in the electoral college. And we as voters do things like blame Ralph Nader for not getting Al Gore elected, but most of the people I knew that voted for Nader wouldn't have voted at all. It's like what Devo said, "Freedom of choice is what you got/Freedom from choice is what you want." Do you think it's a coincidence that people like Bob Dole and Al Gore more now than when they were running for office?
This dysfunctional political system need a good, honest, real shake up. For that Obama is the perfect President. I'll justify my love in no order:

1. The name! Can you think of a more untraditionally American name for a politician holding national office than Barack Hussein Obama? Ok, Spiro Agnew, fine.

2. This article! This blew my mind when I read it last week. A Plan, A Man, My main political Pet Peeve Squashed! Obama!

3. He makes the right people nervous! Republicans and Democrats alike covet and fear his charisma. He's as close as we've come to a Kevin Kline's Dave;a movie as fanciful and naively idealistic as any fantasy.

4. He's honest and doesn't care if it hurts him politically! Here's an article about that.

But I realize he'll probably won't get elected. Why? I just named 4 reasons why.

No comments: