The Nitty Gritty

But more than all of those I am an entertainer. I carry around a ukulele with me for the same reason a gangster carries a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stage or sidewalk, Your Pal Pete shows are just where they happen.
Currently, I'm working on a musical, RagnaPOP(or she's got the bomb), set to premiere at this year's Capital Fringe Festival. I'm also working on music, comedy, and musical comedy; for kids and/or adults.
The fruit of these projects will be available on this site, so check back regularly!

Monday, January 22, 2007

Eats shoots and "leaves"

I don't seem to be the most qualified to comment on the use or misuse of punctuation; I just re-discovered the semi-colon. I'll even admit that I put movie titles and tv shows and things in quotation marks when I should put them in italics, in my ignorance, I don't know how to use italics online. Let me try: Battlestar Galactica is back on! Oops, I turned everything italic-y.

When you're writing quotes can be heavy things, if I write that you said something and put it in quotations, you would have to have said it. Legal action can be raised over such things.

But "air quotes" are widely acknowledged as a gesture to denote insincerity, unless you're Dr. Evil. At the toy store, quotes are used on the boxes of toys to note if things aren't "real". For example, we once had a toy dragon and it said on the box, "Really Breathes 'Fire'!", which really means a plastic "tongue" with flames painted on it comes out when you press a lever.

I realize that this is not my strongest post. It been a while since I've written anything and I wanted to get going on something. I'll make it up to you and write about something more interesting this week.

No comments: