The Nitty Gritty

But more than all of those I am an entertainer. I carry around a ukulele with me for the same reason a gangster carries a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stage or sidewalk, Your Pal Pete shows are just where they happen.
Currently, I'm working on a musical, RagnaPOP(or she's got the bomb), set to premiere at this year's Capital Fringe Festival. I'm also working on music, comedy, and musical comedy; for kids and/or adults.
The fruit of these projects will be available on this site, so check back regularly!

Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Edgy, Classy and Weird

If you describe yourself as edgy, classy, or weird, you're wrong. That is just the nature of those particular words.

Edgy- Edgy is a word used mostly by people with no discernible edge of their own to describe the potentially offensive, like, "It's an 'edgy' kind of comedy!" When you can't bring yourself to even say "adult" or "dirty" to describe anything, you are not, in fact, edgy. You could try to save yourself and say"I'm fucking edgy!" But that's trying to hard .

Classy- I don't think I've ever used this work in a less than 75% irony context. Any less and you'd run the risk of being a guest on Maury Povich show saying, "I'm classy!" before you lift up your shirt and give the black bar and curse beep guy something to do. Therefore, not classy.

Whenever I hear that word I flash back to when I worked in Delmar, Maryland at a convenience store late one night. One lady tromped in and said, in a outdoor voice, "Lemme use your pisser!"
I was still shocked and awed by this slightly, but my co-worker immediately shot back,"We can let people use our bathroom anymore." It wasn't a public one, it was behind the employee only doors. I didn't know if that was true, but I was only comfortable with the funk of my co workers any foreign funk would offset this delicate balance.

She offered a compromise,"give me a napkin, so I can go 'round back."
We both went into full body ick mode and went, "NNNOOO!" at the same time. After she left I turned to my fellow register jockey and said, "That, my friend, was classy."

Weird- We are all, in our own way, weird. People who are truly, honestly strange above the garden variety never see themselves as weird. To them everyone else are the weird ones. Its like not being able to smell yourself.

I have to say that I may not have as much time to devote to blogging as I would like these days. I started working at the toy store part time and I really have to get some work done on the retail book. I do love doing this, though, and I will post as much as I can.

This is where I ask a favor, which you're free to take or leave. If you know somebody who might enjoy my angsty musings, send them my way. I'll still love you if you don't, I just want to spread the love, is that so wrong?

1 comment:

wharman said...

So true.