The Nitty Gritty

But more than all of those I am an entertainer. I carry around a ukulele with me for the same reason a gangster carries a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stage or sidewalk, Your Pal Pete shows are just where they happen.
Currently, I'm working on a musical, RagnaPOP(or she's got the bomb), set to premiere at this year's Capital Fringe Festival. I'm also working on music, comedy, and musical comedy; for kids and/or adults.
The fruit of these projects will be available on this site, so check back regularly!

Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Fun Facts About Islam

The problem I often have with these “Fun Facts” posts is I’m not sure whether people already know the things I talk about. However seeing other people’s “Fun Facts” that I thought everyone knew made me realize that I shouldn’t worry about it too much. Still I hope I’m not wasting anyone’s time.

1.One of the biggest misconceptions people have about Muslims is that they always refer to God as Allah, but they only do this if they’re speaking Arabic (or one of the other Middle Eastern languages). If they’re speaking English, they say God. Using Allah outside of that context suggests that the Muslim God is different than the Christian God; they all worship the “God of Abraham”.
2.Jesus is an important figure in Islam (as is Moses), but he has seen as a prophet, not as the Son of God. This is why many Muslims consider Christianity a polytheistic religion.
3.Islam was created as a return to the true word of God after what was seen as the subverting influence of Man on the Christian and Jewish religions. This is part of the reason why many fundamentalist Muslims take such a literal and dogmatic approach to the writings of the Koran.
4.Even though there are Muslim clerics, no one is considered closer to God than anyone else; anyone worshiping at a Mosque can lead prayers.
5.Jesus said, “Render unto Caesar the things that are Caesar’s and unto God that which is God’s ”, which many (myself included) see as a call for a separation of church and state, while the Koran specifically forbids it.

2 comments:

Alex said...

so why do many fundamentalist Christians take such a literal and dogmatic approach to the writings of the Bible?

Your Pal Pete said...

They don't actually, they pick and choose what they believe in; the bit that many quote about God saying homosexuality being an abomination is framed by other abominations that should be punished by death, like everything. I was going to write a post about that, but other people have done a better job: Blogging the Bible on slate.com, Penn and Teller's Bullshit, and the new book The Year of Living Biblically for how wrong fundamentalist Christians are. You Tube has tons of examples of "Christians" who can't even recite the Commandments