The Nitty Gritty

But more than all of those I am an entertainer. I carry around a ukulele with me for the same reason a gangster carries a gun; better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. Stage or sidewalk, Your Pal Pete shows are just where they happen.
Currently, I'm working on a musical, RagnaPOP(or she's got the bomb), set to premiere at this year's Capital Fringe Festival. I'm also working on music, comedy, and musical comedy; for kids and/or adults.
The fruit of these projects will be available on this site, so check back regularly!

Wednesday, September 27, 2006

Wag the Dog, Hello?

I recently wrote a post partially about how humans, with all our intelligence and language, still do 60 percent of our communication from body language. Man if that hasn't proven to be true after the President vs. Chris Wallace dust-up. All anyone can talk about is the outside voice and agitated gesticulation the former president used and not the fact that, for the most part, he was fucking right.

It wasn't too long ago that I can't remember when Republicans and conservative commentators yelled "Wag The Dog!" when then current events reflected the recently released movie of the same name; where a president created a war to divert the nations attention from a sex scandal.

Right around the discovery of the most historically significant money shot in history and the subsequent impeachment, The United States attacked Iraq,Afghanistan and the Sudan. A lot of people, myself included, thought this was a little too conveniently timed, but history has told a different tale. He did retaliate against attacks on the property of the United States (the bombing of the American embassies in Kenya and Tanzania) by attacking the people that were actually responsible for it and actually did destroy factories making actual WMDs. I used actual a lot because people seem to be having a hard time separating rhetoric for facts.

Not my readers, of course, you know.

I was never a huge Clinton fan, although I did vote for him twice. The same history that President Bush hoped will vindicate his current foreign policy seems to have worked for Bill Clinton first; but history only works if you remember the facts, not the gestures; remember the dead solders and civilians and not toppled statues and "Mission Accomplished" banners. What emboldens our enemy more, dead children or Bill Maher jokes?

I have grown to miss the leadership Clinton provided, but with George W. Bush at the helm, I find myself missing George Sr., too. But the fact is, Bill Clinton did attack Osama before Osama attacked the American mainland. True, he tried to stop him and failed, but he admitted his mistake. When will the current model President Bush truly admit his?

As for Clinton's aggression and oversensitivity, a TV mini-series did just air where he was shown worrying about the blowjob heard round the world more than our national security, when there is no evidence to support it. I'd be pissed too.

No comments: